Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Insomnia

in-som-ni-a 
noun
 inability to obtain sufficient sleep, especially when chronic; difficulty in falling or staying asleep; sleeplessness.



For the past few weeks I have had the pleasure of waking up between 3 AM and 5 AM regardless of what time I go to sleep. 5 AM isn't so bad because at least the sun is somewhat ready to rise... On the other hand, bars and clubs are still open at 3 AM (at least here in NYC). So what do I do when I can't sleep? A number of different things:

1) Read. My life has been consumed with reading the Harry Potter series for about 2 weeks now. That's right people, I read all 7 books in roughly 2 weeks. That's no small feat; book 5 alone was 870 pages (Books 1-7 = 4111 pages!). I wish there was an adult summer reading program like we used to have back when I was growing up, where you got prizes (usually tickets to an A's game or pizza) for reading a certain number of books or how much time you spent reading. For as much as I've read this summer, I deserve a box seat at a Yankees game. Other books I've read this summer include: The Hunger Game series, Low Boy (super weird), For Colored Girls..., and pretty sure there was one or two more that I can't remember. I guess I'll get back to Catch 22 now that I'm done with HP.


2) Browse the interweb. This generally involves catching up on my favorite blogs, planning trips I'll never be able to afford (which usually leads to looking for seconds jobs to fund said trips), online window shopping, selecting random people from my past and checking out their Facebook profiles to see what they're up to these days (i.e. "Facebook stalking," it's amazing to see how many people are now engaged/married/knocked up/parents), and cleaning out my 3 email accounts (I probably have a combined 4000 emails, yet as much as I purge I really don't make a dent. Not sure why I'm still saving those emails with the pictures of crazy ice sculptures or the bitchy email from my former roommate in Columbia housing.... call me an email hoarder I guess).

3) Think.My brain rarely ever shuts down. Here is a sample of what was running through my head as I lay in bed at 3 AM:  "I'm really tired, but I'm also really excited to go back to Fashion {the high school I work at} tomorrow. Oh goodness, I'm going to have to move my things into my new office. <pause to draw a mental floor plan of the office> Hmm... where will my computer go? Where will my intern go? Oooh! Two chairs and a throw rug would look really cute right there. Right, gotta make room for the intern... and groups. I wish I could buy comfy chairs for the office. Maybe I can get some from STEPS {my agency}. Note to self, email Connie {my boss}... wait, I should also ask if I'm still going to get that laptop because sharing a computer with someone two days a week is going to suck. I hope I get along with my intern... if not, where can I send her when she annoys me? Maybe she can hang out in my old office... I need a planner. I also need to make a to-do list, well another to-do list. I hope the guy emails me back about with a price for the t-shirts and that I don't have to do anything to the design. I should email myself the stuff just in case.. or should I bring my laptop? But it's so heavy..." This stream of thought was probably a minute long. My thoughts can vary from what I'm going to wear tomorrow to where I'll be in 5 years. Bottom line: I'm a spaz that thinks way too much... Maybe I should incorporate meditation into my nightly routine (and buy that damn planner, lol).

4) Cook. I used to love cooking early in the morning while listening to music. Some of my best culinary creations were made in the wee hours of the morning. I don't live alone anymore, thus this option is no longer on the table. It's not polite to bang around pots/pans and sing while food smells drift into the bedroom. 

5) Draw. It's been a while, but is one of my favorite past times. I miss it and I don't do it often enough. I wish I was one of those abstract artists that can make things up out of pure imagination. I'm a little too logical and rigid to let go creatively. My brain isn't always fully functioning this early in the morning, so maybe this is the perfect time to be a little more abstract. 

That's about it folks. If I get lucky and tired enough, sometimes I'll pass out on the couch. The best part is that I still have plenty of time before I really have to be anywhere. Time for a power nap before I start my day. Good morning!

P.S. I don't consume caffeinated or sugary stuff on a regular basis. just in case you were trying to formulate theories about why I don't sleep. Trust me, I've thought of them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment